Tashilhunpo Monastery on the slopes of Mt. Niser in U-Tsang Province, Tibet, has been since 1600 the seat of the Panchen Lama, an important Geluk leader. The first Panchen Lama was a great disciple of Je Tsongkhapa. In 1447 the Monastery was founded southwest of Shigatse, Tibet’s second largest city, by His Holiness the 1st Dalai Lama, Gyalwa Gendun Drup. It is one of the four great monasteries of Central Tibet and one of the Great Six centers of the Geluk tradition. The Tashilhunpo Monastery has been re-established in Bylakuppe in Karnataka State, India. The Tenth Panchen Lama (1938-89) was enthroned in 1951. In 1959, after the escape of the Dalai Lama to India, he was appointed acting chairman of the “Prepartory Committee for the Tibet Autonomous Region.” At present there is a dispute over the 11th Pachen Lama with the Dalai Lama recognizing Gendhun Choekyi Nyima and the Chinese government selecting another, Erdini Gyaincain Norbu.