Regarding the inquiries from temples, associations and other dharma-listening organizations around the world about the issue of whether H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III signed and issued letters of authorization giving approval to so-and-so A, so-and-so B, so-and-so C, and others for their dharma teaching or not, the Office of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III hereby gives the following brief explanation.
1. The issue of whether a person possesses the qualifications for teaching Buddha-dharma or not has no relation to whether he is approved by H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III or not for doing so. This has nothing to do with whether H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III approves or disapproves someone’s qualification of transmitting dharma to and performing initiations for other people. This is because only true Buddha-dharma can benefit living beings. There is only one path for learning true Buddha-dharma. That is learning from true great holy virtuous ones, true holy virtuous ones or true great virtuous ones. In the recorded dharma lessons that expounded the dharma, H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III clearly and correctly discoursed in numerous times that the qualifications for transmitting the dharma come from abiding by the precepts of Buddha-dharma, correct knowledge and views, and possessing true Buddha-dharma. In addition, one should possess true power of realization, not just an undeserved hollow title. Any person, regardless of having the status of venerable one, dharma king, great master, rinpoche, dharma master, acarya, master of dharma-listening sessions, monastic bhiksu or bhiksuni or layperson, can teach the dharma and propagate good knowledge provided the qualifications are met. Conversely, without possessing the qualifications, one cannot teach the dharma.
2. A master’s qualifications for teaching Buddha-dharma include not only one’s own state of realization but also the ability of teaching others to realize the state of accomplishment. Any great virtuous one’s self accomplishment, regardless of whether he is a great accomplished one in Tummo Concentration, or a Daoguo accomplished one with the crown opened at the top of head, or even a holy virtuous one with the accomplishment in Vajra Body Substitution Meditation, can only indicate that he attained the great accomplished state of realization for himself and that he is truly in the ranks of great holy virtuous ones or holy virtuous ones without a doubt. However, he may not necessarily possess the qualifications for transmitting the dharma and performing initiations. Therefore, the qualifications for transmitting Buddha-dharma with highest inner-tantric initiations or inner-tantric initiations exist independently and are defined by separate dharma tracks. Those are the Six Holy Measurements of a Master’s Qualifications.
3. It is true that H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III signed and issued letters of authorization before. However, a fact must be known clearly. The most basic condition for a person to receive a certificate of master’s qualification and authorization for teaching the dharma from H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III is having attained the status of a true holy virtuous one. That means possessing the Six Holy Measurements of Master’s Qualifications. Other than that, it is impossible for people with the status of average great virtuous ones to acquire a letter of authorization personally signed and issued by H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III! Separately, regarding the qualifications of masters for teaching outer-tantric dharma or Exoteric Buddhism, recognition or certification is simply not required.
4. Certificates of authorization for master’s qualifications in teaching the dharma and performing initiations are classified into four levels. The first two levels are for absolutely great holy virtuous ones with holy realization power: Certificate of Authorization for “Master’s Qualification at the highest level of holy realization” (for convenience, we call it Certificate of Master’s Qualification at the Diamond Level); and Certificate of Authorization for “Master’s Qualification at the middle level of holy realization” (Certificate of Master’s Qualification at the Gold Level). Both these two types require the candidate to take a qualifying test of seven masters and ten witnesses in front of rinpoches and dharma masters. After passing the test, the seven masters and ten witnesses will sign off on the spot. The certificate is then presented to H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III to sign and stamp with the seal for issuing. These are the only two kinds of certificates of master’s qualifications for great holy virtuous ones that are signed and stamped by H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. Very few people in the whole world can receive such certificates. Therefore, whether a person has one or not can be easily found out.
Other than that, H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III also signed and issued certificates to holy virtuous ones who attained accomplishment in state practices of Xianliang (Xianliang means on the spot or immediately measurable) Great Perfection, Vajra Body Substitution Meditation, Tummo Concentration and others. However, this type of certificates can only prove their identities of being accomplished as holy virtuous ones or great holy virtuous ones and do not represent the realization power in master’s qualifications. Certificates of master’s qualifications must be issued separately after passing other tests.
What was stated above does not apply to great holy virtuous ones who are accomplished at the level of enlightenment practice. This is because one who is accomplished at the level of enlightenment practice is himself a Buddha or Bodhisattva and will always teach people correctly. For details, please see the sections in The Supreme and Unsurpassable Mahamudra of Liberationabout the realization power of enlightenment practice.
The third level is the Certificate of “Master’s Qualification at the Beginning Level of Holy Realization,” which is also called the Certificate of “Master’s Qualification of Holy Virtuous One” (Certificate of Master’s Qualification at the Silver Level).
The fourth level is the Certificate of Great Virtuous and Kind Knowledgeable One. Both the third and fourth levels are tested by three masters and seven witnesses. After their signatures, the certificate is then signed and issued by a well-known dharma king, a founding master of the dharma, or a great holy virtuous rinpoche who possesses the realization power. H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III does not issue such certificates.
There is a special reminder. At the time of issuing these four types of certificates, a video recording the accomplishment of passing the test at the scene will be given to the receiver of the certificate. This video also records the whole process of issuing the certificate, as an evidence of the true fact.
5. As to the acaryas and Masters of Dharma-Listening Sessions you inquired about, some have the qualifications of teaching the dharma. Some others do not. Any person who can achieve the following points is qualified to teach outer-tantric initiations and exoteric dharma: 1) does not fall into the 128 evil views and erroneous views; 2) acts according to the Buddha’s teaching; 3) always do good deeds to benefit the public; 4) is conversant in the teaching of sutras. By possessing these four points, they have the ability of teaching what they learned and understand clearly about Buddha-dharma to benefit living beings. On the other hand, if they are not conversant in the teaching of sutras and, in particular, fall into the 128 evil views and erroneous views, then regardless of their status of venerable one, dharma king, great master, rinpoche, dharma master, great layperson, acarya, Master of Dharma-Listening Sessions or even holder of Certificate of Master’s Qualification at the Silver Level, they are not qualified for teaching the dharma and discoursing on Buddha-dharma. This is because they are false holy ones and true ordinary beings with undeserved fames or masters who entered demonic state of mind. Therefore, whatever such people say is certain to be evil views so they do not have the qualifications of teaching the dharma and performing initiations.
From the Office of H. H. Dorje Chang Buddha III,
March 1, 2010 (Revised July 15, 2011)