The Office of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III has received inquiries (see the attachment) with questions regarding the recognition of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III, rinpoche, Buddha, master, and disciple. Please see the following brief replies from the Office of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III:
1. Regarding the question of if H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III is a self-claimed Buddha, anyone can learn the truth from reading the book H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. Since coming to this world, H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III manifested the wisdom of a Buddhda that no other holy ones can match. Even though H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III knew that He is Dorje Chang Buddha III, His Holiness always stated that He is a humble one and never declared himself a Buddha. This fact is very clear from listening to the dharma lessons that H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III discoursed all these years and that have been distributed all over the world. The identity of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III was only revealed after receiving written recognitions from three topmost holy masters and ten certifications, along with many supporting recognitions and congratulations.
As a matter of fact, if H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III were self-claimed, then all rinpoches in the world would be self-claimed. On the other hand, even if rinpoches in the world were all self-claimed, H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III would still not be self-claimed. This is because not only is H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III Wan Ko a genuine revelation of Buddha possessing the required recognitions from three topmost holy masters and ten certifications, but also the fact that there has been no single rinpoche who received so many genuine recognitions and certifications, supporting recognitions, and congratulations as H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III did. This is truly by far the first in the history of Buddhism.
In terms of the true realization and capabilities, among those who falsely claim themselves to be a Buddha and those so-called dharma kings, rinpoches and Buddhas who publish evil views, is there a single person who possesses the accomplishment comparable to that of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III? If you don’t agree, can you mention anyone as an example? Without even a “Certification of Blue Platform,” and without recognition and approval from any holy being, some people would dare to claim being a Buddha. What else can he be if not a swindler deceiving living beings?
Answers to these questions shall be as self-evident as a simple plain truth to everyone. Who has higher wisdom, Buddha or ordinary living beings and evil demons? Who has greater abilities, Buddha or ordinary living beings and evil demons? How can it be true that one who selflessly benefits living beings and does not accept any offerings be an ordinary being or evil demon, while those who distort Buddha-dharma, who do not possess any admirable capability, and who deceive living beings so as to get offerings can be Buddhas and Bodhisattvas?
In fact, the identity of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III is not based on recognitions and congratulations from anyone. Nor does the authority of recognition come from the Buddha Name Stone. The identity of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III is demonstrated by His Holiness with the state of enlightenment and accomplishment as a Buddha. Both before and after the recognitions and congratulations from Dharma Kings and holy ones, H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III has always been Buddha living up to the name. In the history of this world’s civilization of thousands of years, there has not been a single holy being whose accomplishment exceeds that of H. H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. Therefore, recognitions and congratulations from great holy ones are just an additional layer of proof to the fact.
It is true that Dorje Rinzin Rinpoche unearthed the Buddha Name Stone. However, according to the stipulation of Dharma, whatever dharma objects or sentences from sutras and mantras uncovered from terma cannot be regarded as evidence for recognition of a Buddha. Otherwise, such dharma methods may be used by evil ones to make claims for themselves.
There are three forms of evidence in recognizing a Buddha. First, one’s compassion and vow toward living beings must be no different from that of Shakyamuni Buddha. Second, in terms of demonstrating the wonderful wisdom, one’s accomplishment is not comparable by any other holy ones. Third, as a casual manifestation of samadhi, one must be able to request nectars bestowed by Buddhas from the empty sky in front of observing eyes. Without these three forms of evidence, one can only be an ordinary holy noble virtuous one or just a mundane being. Dorje Rinzin Rinpoche discovered the Buddha Name Stone, with the inscription of “H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III Wan Ko Yisinubu.” This is a manifestation of the state of realization of Dorje Rinzin Rinpoche as a great accomplished one. However, H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III stated that “the Buddha Name Stone does not represent the true status and realization of a Buddha.” Because of that, the Buddha Name Stone was not provided to the International Buddhism Sangha Association and the story was not included in the treasure book of H. H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. This is just a statement that no dharma objects or discovery of terma can be regarded as the evidence of the revelation of Buddha.
2. The discourses on Buddha-dharma by H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III have been distributed to the world for benefiting living beings. In the treasure book of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III, there is also a statement from H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III, titled “How many, and which, people, in today’s world, can represent me in accepting disciples, perform initiation, teaching dharma, giving discourse, and saving living beings?” Any statement or view that violates this statement is not the opinion of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III.
3. Practitioners who have listened to the dharma discourses of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III all know that the fundamental truth and the dharma of taking refuge in Buddhism from the teaching of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III is not different from the teaching of Shakyamuni Buddha. H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III stated, “There are 84,000 dharma gates but only one type of Buddha-dharma. Everyone must act according to Buddha’s teaching. No one should make any change.” Tibetan people, Han people, black people, and white people are all living beings in the human realm. All should benefit living beings and should, in their conduct, adhere to disciplines and rules that are equal and applicable to all. People are different in their good roots. However, to attain liberation, everyone must follow the same stipulations of Buddhism. The rules and standards for attaining accomplishment are all based on mainstream Buddhism and are applicable to all people. No one, holy or ordinary practitioner, has the authority to lower the stipulation and standards established by the Buddha.
4. Rinpoches are classified into monastic rinpoches and lay-person rinpoches. Monastic lamas who are rinpoches or dharma kings must adhere to the precepts for monastic or Bhiksu practitioners. That includes being vegetarian. Lay-person rinpoches have to adhere to the rules for lay-persons. In a word, the standards are from the teaching and precepts established by Shakyamuni Buddha and should not change for different nationalities or any particular person.
5. Great virtuous ones in all sects all know well the etiquette of Buddhism. The dharma of prostration includes how to do great prostration, the mantra of prostration, and the ritual of visualizing the state of taking refuge. The teaching by H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III is consistent with the teachings by Shakyamuni Buddha, Master Padmasambhava, Master Tsongkhapa, Master Marpa, Master Selfless Mother and others. Only some special dharmas are different. This is because the earlier teaching by Shakyamuni Buddha elevated living beings’ good roots and qualifications and matured the special affinities. That’s why H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III taught the special dharmas based on living beings’ affinities. However, there is no change in the precepts established by Shakyamuni Buddha. An example of the special dharmas is the Amitabha Pure Land Dharma taught by H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. The practitioner can first take a trip to visit the World of Ultimate Bliss and return to Earth. Then the practitioner will ascend to the World of Superlative Joy at the time of appointment.
6. It is one of the teachings of Buddhism that disciples prostrate to their master. This is based on the courtesy and virtue of human beings. For instance, disciples of Dodrupchen Dharma King prostrate to Dodrupchen Dharma King; disciples of Taklung Tsetrul Dharma King prostrate to Taklung Tsetrul Dharma King; disciples of Penor Dharma King prostrate to Penor Dharma King; disciples of Trulshik Dharma King prostrate to Trulshik Dharma King; and so on. This is not only within the Nyingma Sect. The same is true in other sects. Disciples of Gar Tongstan Dharma King prostrate to Gar Tongstan Dharma King; disciples of Longhui Lajian Rinpoche prostrate to Longhui Lajian Rinpoche; disciples of Hengsheng Rinpoche prostrate to Hengsheng Rinpoche; disciples of Xiyao Juebu Rinpoche prostrate to Xiyao Juebu Rinpoche. This is what one should do. Buddhist disciples can’t deviate from the stipulation of Buddhism and cannot deviate from H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III’s teaching, which is also the teaching of Shakyamuni Buddha. Disciples should also prostrate to those who are at the same generational level as their master, as a manner of courtesy and politeness. However, all disciples and whatever holy beings should all regard the Three Jewels as the highest beings for prostrating. H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III said, “The greatest holy one who deserves the most respect is Shakyamuni Buddha.No other holy being can take that place. All practitioners should prostrate to Shakyamuni Buddha.”
7. On the question of how many Buddhas have come to this world, please respectfully listen to the dharma lesson titled H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III’s Discourse on Buddha, Masters. H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III never announced that Dorje Rinzin Rinpoche is the nirmanakaya of Mahavairocana but stated that “Dorje Rinzin Rinpoche is not a Buddha, but he is a great accomplished practitioner who strictly adheres to precepts, works hard in cultivation and attained liberation. He discovered many dharmas of terma.”
8. There are 84,000 dharma gates in Buddha-dharma. Different people have their different affinities. Thus they will follow different masters. That relationship is from the law of cause-effect and the affinity of dharma. This is not to be abandoned by one’s own wish. Do not abandon the dharma you have learned! Chanting Buddha’s name, the practice of Zen, meditation and visualization, the school of Yogacara (Mind-Only), Esoteric Sect, Mahayana (the Great Vehicle) Sect, and Hinayana (the Small Vehicle) Sect are all Buddha’s teaching for various circumstances. No dharma should be abandoned as long as the dharma is based on the teaching of Shakyamuni Buddha and not from textbooks of evil or heterodoxy sects. The only exception is when one has learned too many dharmas and does not have the time to practice them all.
9. Xiyao Juebu Rinpoche has great merit in his broadcasting of the discourses of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. That’s because the discourses of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III are enlightening and stain-free in benefiting living beings. Xiyao Juebu Rinpoche is the first formally accepted disciple of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III in this lifetime. However, he was not the first disciple of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha I or H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha II. This fact should be quite clear from the dharma lessons and the book.
10. Xiyao Juebu Rinpoche published, in the blog of “Sand in Desert,” his criticism of such act of violating Buddha’s teaching as an article of evil view from someone who does not know the stipulation of Buddha-dharma. From that, one can see that that article of evil view was certainly not the view of Xiyao Juebu Rinpoche.
The Office of H. H. Dorje Chang Buddha III, January 13, 2009 (Revised July 15, 2011)
Attachment (inquiry received via e-mail):
From:firstname.lastname@example.org Monday, January 12, 2009
Respected Office of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III:
Recently, I saw a lot of news and information from the internet but I couldn’t tell if it was true or false. I wrote this letter to request answers.
Some people said that H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III was self-claimed. Some other people stated that H.H. was certified by Dorje Rinzin Rinpoche from the dharma of terma, which provided the most important evidence according to the Dharma. Can the Respected Office of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III provide an answer?
Do Rinpoches have to become monastic? Do Rinpoches all have to eat meat?
Some people say that the Venerable Xiyao Juebu has great merit and is the first disciple of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III. Is that true?
They also stated that, according to a discourse by H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III, Chinese people of Han nationality cannot learn Buddhism in the same way as Tibetans. The standard has to be lowered. Everyone must do great prostration to the Venerable Xiyao Juebu and has to promote and propagate Buddhism in the Han traditions. The number of prostrations has to gradually increase to 800 per day. One must also abandon the dharma and the master one recognized previously. I am a disciple of Venerable Khu-ston brTson-ëgrus g.yung-drung V, Henghsing Gyatso Rinpoche. Should I also prostrate to the Venerable Xiyao Juebu 800 times a day? Can we still prostrate to our Vajra Master, Venerable Khu-ston brTson-ëgrus g.yung-drung V, Henghsing Gyatso Rinpoche?
Did H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III ever announce that Dorje Rinzin Rinpoche is a nirmanakaya of Mahavairocana and that he recovered many dharmas of terma?
Please provide answers from the Respected Office of H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III.
My knowledge is very shallow so please forgive me if my questions may be inappropriate or impolite. However, I have to seek answers because these matters affect living beings’ well being and can determine if our knowledge is correct or wrong.
Respectfully presented from Hongde, a humble Buddhist disciple January 12, 2009